AMCHP mourns the passing of member Susan Colburn's son Ryan Colburn. Ryan had a love for sports and was an avid Auburn fan. Ryan believed in Auburn and loved it. Ryan was also a huge fan of the Atlanta Braves, and he played the outfield in Miracle League Baseball. In recent years, Ryan spoke at several conferences about growing up with a disability and living life to the fullest. Ryan was a lifelong member of Frazer Memorial United Methodist Church, and an active participant in the Children's Ministry and Student Ministry. He loved music and singing and was a member of Frazer Youth Worship Arts Choir. He especially enjoyed choir tour each summer. Ryan was employed by the Southeast YMCA after graduation from Jefferson Davis High School in 2005 where he was a member of the Key Club and yearbook staff. Ryan was the 1989 Montgomery United Way Ambassador.
Who Should Apply?
- First time attendee at the AMCHP Annual Conference
- NOTE: If you have previously attended the AMCHP Annual Conference you are not eligible to apply.
- 18-25 years of age, with special health care need(s)
- Consistent, active participation in public and/or community service activities
- Must be a recipient of services with state Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs programs, MCH and/or Title V.
- Preferences may be given to individuals that have demonstrated active participation as a youth leader in the disability community or with public health/maternal and child health
Expectations of Scholarship Recipient
· Attend the entire conference (February 9-12, 2013)
· Share information with other youth
· Visit your US House of Representatives and Senates to educate about Title V during the 2013 annual conference.
· Follow through on how they intend to use the information and resources learned, as stated in narrative – Q2
· Will engage with a mentor identified by AMCHP before, during, and after the annual conference on a monthly basis (November 2012 – April 2013).
· Submit a picture for inclusion in AMCHP publications.
· Share with AMCHP and their mentor the impact and outcomes of their activities.
· Provide own personal care assistant and cover any related costs, if necessary
An applicant for the Ryan Colburn Scholarship Fund must submit the following materials in one email:
- A completed application
- A personal statement that address the questions listed in the application ( No more than 150 words for each question).
- A resume outlining academic, leadership, extracurricular, community, and/or work involvement (no more than two pages).
- Two reference forms submitted directly to AMCHP on their behalf.
- The two reference forms must be completed by individuals other than family members and returned by the adults making the reference.
- One form must be completed by a professional and/or clinical staff associated with state CYSHCN, MCH or Title V programs.
- An applicant must agree to allow AMCHP to use their name, picture, and or/story for future scholarship materials.
Only completed applications will be considered and need to be received by close of business (8:00 pm Eastern Time), October 19, 2012
If you have questions about the scholarship fund, please contact Michelle Jarvis at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 775-1472.