Presented by: Go Beyond MCH
Go Beyond provides innovative information management solutions for MCH organizations and family health programs that improve the quality of care and health outcomes.
The Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs (AMCHP) is a national resource, partner and advocate for state public health leaders and others working to improve the health of women, children, youth and families, including those with special health care needs.
AMCHP members come from the highest levels of state government and include directors overseeing Title V, Maternal and Child Health (MCH) and/or Children and Youth with Special Heath Care Needs (CYSHCN) programs and other public health leaders who work with and support state maternal and child health programs. Our members directly serve all women and children nationwide, and strive to improve the health of all women, infants, children and adolescents by administering critical public health education and screening services, and coordinating preventive, primary and specialty care. Our membership also includes academic, advocacy and community-based family health professionals, as well as families themselves.
AMCHP builds successful programs by disseminating best practices; advocating on behalf of members in Washington; providing technical assistance; convening leaders to share experiences and ideas; and advising states about involving partners to reach our common goal of healthy children, healthy families, and healthy communities.
Since 2012, AMCHP has partnered with Go Beyond to offer a graduate student scholarship. The Scholarship funds are designed to assist graduate students in furthering their education while sponsoring their attendance at the AMCHP Annual Conference to hone their leadership skills and connect them with existing leaders within MCH.
The purpose of the Go Beyond MCH Graduate Student Scholarship is to:
- Provide a leadership development opportunity for emerging MCH leaders
- Open opportunities to network with MCH professionals and families nationally
- Establish a forum to learn about emerging and national MCH issues related to women, children, youth and families, including those with special health care needs
- Support the educational development of graduate students by providing funds for education-related expenses
- Develop advocates for Title V and MCH programs.
There are two parts to the Go Beyond MCH Graduate Student Scholarship, totaling $3,500. First, the scholarship provides $2,000 for educational expenses. Second, the scholarship will provide funds, up to $1,500, to attend the AMCHP Annual Conference. The $1,500 will cover conference registration, travel, hotel and per diem costs. Some costs will be covered ahead of time; others will be paid out of pocket and reimbursed after the conference. Scholarship recipients will receive instructions related to both parts of the scholarship. Scholars selected in fall 2014 would receive funds to support the current year of study and attendance at the 2015 conference, to be held January 24-27, 2015 in Washington, DC.
- First time attendee at the AMCHP Annual Conference
NOTE: If you have previously attended the AMCHP Annual Conference you are not eligible to apply
- Graduate degree candidate in last year of program (master or doctoral level) with a strong MCH focus
- Preference given to those that have interned, worked or volunteered in a Title V or Title V-funded program
- Has minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Can attend at least three days of the conference
- Two reference forms, one which must be from a Title V-related staff person and another from an academic representative. Refer to the reference form for details
- Consistent, active participation in public and/or community service activities.
There are three components to the application process. The first and second components are due by Monday, Nov. 17, 2014 at 8 p.m. EST. The third item will be requested of the scholarship recipient by AMCHP staff at a later date.
1) Applicants for the Go Beyond MCH Graduate Student Scholarship must submit the following materials in one email:
A copy of graduate school transcript(s)
A personal statement that addresses the questions listed under the section titled Application Questions (a maximum of 150 words per question)
A resume outlining academic, leadership, extracurricular, community and/or work involvement
2) Two MCH Grad Ref Form 2015.doc must be submitted directly to AMCHP on the student’s behalf:
One form must be completed by a professional associated with MCH, CYSHCN or Title V programs
One form must be completed by an academic professional associated with the academic institution that the applicant attends.
3) If selected as the Go Beyond MCH Graduate Student Scholarship recipient, submit a picture for inclusion in AMCHP publications.
Please submit the first and second components by Monday, Nov. 17, 2014 at 8 p.m. EST to firstname.lastname@example.org.