Download a PDF
Nominate Your Peers for a 2014 AMCHP AWARD!
The field of maternal and child health (MCH) draws many dedicated, passionate professionals. The AMCHP annual conference provides a moment in which some of those who have made outstanding contributions can receive the recognition they deserve. With this Member Brief
, we are reopening our call for nominations for five different awards. We welcome nominations in all categories. [more
LEGISLATIVE & POLICY CORNER
Federal Budget Update
Last week, the U.S. House of Representatives introduced legislation to fund the federal government from Oct. 1, 2013 through Dec. 15, 2013 at a slightly lower level than FY 2013 post-sequestration appropriation. As of press time, the vote on this legislation was delayed until this week because of reports the House did not have a majority of votes to approve the funding resolution. [more]
Outreach and Enrollment is the Name of the Game
The countdown timer for open enrollment for Affordable Care Act coverage is now below 20 days...and counting. Is your state ready? Stay tuned for resources from AMCHP to help you and your state prepare for open enrollment, which runs from Oct. 1, 2013-Mar. 31, 2014.
Webinar on Health Insurance Coverage for Pregnant Women Now Available
On Aug. 28, AMCHP along with National Health Law Program, the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, AMCHP, the March of Dimes, the National Partnership for Women and Families, and the National Women’s Law Center took part in the first of the Health Reform and Insurance Coverage for Pregnant Women Webinar Series. [more]
Webinar Series: Leading in Changing Times
AMCHP efforts to strengthen the capacity of the MCH community to engage in the leadership process recognize that leadership development is a process, not an event. The Leading in Changing Times Series is an initiative launched by AMCHP as part of our larger efforts to support a diverse, effective and competent workforce in state and territorial MCH programs. [more]
DMCHWD New Grantee Orientation Webinar
The Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCH) Division of MCH Workforce Development (DMCHWD) invites you to join them for a presentation on Sept. 19 from 2-3 p.m. EST. This webinar will provide an overview of DMCHWD and their role within the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) and MCHB, current DMCHWD investments, reporting requirements and important deadlines, key resources, as well as a Q&A session with staff. [more]
Title V, Medicaid and Oral Health: Strategies for Quality Improvement and Financing Care Webinar
MCHB invites you to a webinar session on Sept. 25 from 2:30-4 p.m. EST. The webinar will provide information and strategies for program administrators interested in improving oral health quality, policy and financing for Title V and Medicaid beneficiaries. [more]
Request for Abstract Submission for 2014 NOHC
The planning committee for the 2014 National Oral Health Conference (NOHC) invites seminar and workshop proposals addressing Science, Policy, Practice or Data related to dental public health. Hosted by the Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD) and the American Association of Public Health Dentistry (AAPHD), the NOHC is the premier dental public health conference in the United States with more than 700 public health administrators, staff, clinicians, educators and policymakers in attendance. [more]
Transforming Care through Disruptive Design
The Centering Healthcare Institute will host its 4th National Conference: Transforming Care Through Disruptive Design, Oct. 26-29 in Washington, DC. The conference offers a great learning opportunity to hear visionary keynotes, action-provoking panel discussions and a wide variety of breakout sessions which will offer interactive exploration of ideas. Join clinicians, researchers, policymakers, administrators and students who come together to discuss ideas for transforming health care delivery. [more]
For more ways to get involved, click here.
PUBLICATIONS & RESOURCES
General Maternal & Child Health
NCMHI How to Video Series: Fostering Partnerships and Teamwork in the Pediatric Medical Home
The National Center for Medical Home Implementation (NCMHI) announce the release of a series, which aims tomake the transformation from a pediatric practice to the medical home model of care easier and more understandable. [more]
Archive of AMCHP-CDC 3 Part Virtual Training on Evidence-Based Programs Now Available!
Did you miss the AMCHP Skills-building Suite: Evidence-based Practice: Moving along the Continuum from Selection to Sustainability? This three-part virtual workshop was designed to increase state MCH program capacity to better understand evidence-based programs, dialogue about opportunities and challenges in implementing evidence-based programs, understand complexity in fidelity and adaptation, and consider evaluation and sustainability of evidence-based programs. [more]
Child & Adolescent
National Evaluation of the Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA) Quality Demonstration Grant Program Publication
The National Evaluation Team is excited to announce the publication of its third product, Evaluation Highlight No. 3: How are CHIPRA Quality Demonstration States working to improve adolescent health care? [more]
Women & Infant Health
Redesigned ASTHO Tobacco Control Page
The Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO) Tobacco Control Web page has been redesigned and features new resources geared toward state health agencies.Comprehensive Tobacco Control: Guide for State and Territorial Health Officials provides the basic framework that guides state-level tobacco control policies and programs, reviews the current evidence base that supports the framework, and highlights examples from states. [more]
ON YOUR BEHALF
- Several AMCHP staff participated in block grant reviews across the country as reviewers and observers. Thank you for letting our team learn more about your state and participates in the review process! Below are some of their experiences...[more]
- AMCHP staff Brent Ewig and Carolyn Mullen participated in a meeting hosted by the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE) at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Attendees at this meeting included public health advocates, state public health employees and federal staff. The meeting was focused on the role of public health and health reform; improving clinical and community linkages; leveraging programs to increase update of clinical preventative services; and enhancing provider readiness. Proceedings from this meeting will be publicized on the ASPE website in the near future and will be used to inform future budgeting decisions.
- AMCHP staff Lacy Fehrenbach, Brent Ewig and Carolyn Mullen attended the “Champions for Change” event at the White House which recognized leaders in public health for their efforts to improve the health and well-being of the population. Click here to learn more.
- AMCHP staff Carolyn Mullen participated in a lobby day to discuss the impact of sequestration and urge members of Congress to replace sequestration with a balanced approach to address the deficit. During this lobby day, she met with the following offices: Sen. Coburn (R-OK): Sen. Ayotte (R-NH); Sen. Cornyn (R-TX); Sen. Durbin (D-IL); Sen. Grassley (R-IA); and Sen. Hagan (D-NC).
- AMCHP staff Carolyn Mullen met with Rep. DeLauro (D-CT) and Sen. Coons (D-DE) who are both members of the Appropriations Committees to discuss the Title V Maternal and Child Health Services Block Grant, its importance and the impact sequestration is having on state maternal and child health programs.
AMCHP Launches CEO Search
AMCHP is seeking a dynamic chief executive officer (CEO) to build on and preserve our mission of being a national resource, partner, and advocate for state public health leaders and others working to improve the health of women, children, youth, and families, including those with special health care needs. [more]
Michigan DCH is Now Accepting Applications
The Michigan Department of Community Healthy (DCH) is seeking applications for the director of the Bureau of Family, Maternal and Child Health. Responsibilities include administrative direction and oversight of the Division of Children's Special Health Care Services, Women Infant and Children Division, and the Division of Family and Community Health. [more]
AMCHP'S CAREER CENTER
The Career Center is the premiere online job board for individuals seeking employment in Maternal and Child Health programs. Whether you are looking for an entry-level position or are a more seasoned professional looking for new opportunities, the AMCHP Career Center has great openings for great people! Searching our database is free and open to all job-seekers. AMCHP members receive a discount on job postings -- so sign up today!