AMCHP Working On Your Behalf
- On Apr. 30-May 1, AMCHP staff members Erin Bonzon, Piia Hanson and Maritza Valenzuela attended the National Family Planning and Reproductive Health Association (NFPRHA) Annual Meeting in Washington, DC. AMCHP staff shared resources and information as exhibitors in the conference exhibition hall and connected with NFPRHA staff and national partners throughout the various conference events.
- On May 1, AMCHP staff Treeby Brown and Melody Cherny delivered a presentation at the MCHB Division of State and Community Health Staff Meeting, and on May 9 delivered a presentation at the MCHB Autism Team Meeting. The presentations highlighted the work of the AMCHP State Public Health Autism Resource Center (SPHARC), including past and upcoming activities and resources. For additional information on SPHARC, please visit amchp.org/spharc.
- On May 2, AMCHP staff Kate Howe presented at the National Oral Health Conference in Milwaukee, WI on “Improving Perinatal and Early Childhood Oral Health through Partnerships with MCH Programs,” which included an overview of Title V and select perinatal and early childhood MCH programs, as well as strategies for improving oral health through early childhood MCH programs. This session built off of previous collaboration on an issue brief between Association of State & Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD) and AMCHP that included strategy recommendations and findings from a survey of ASTDD and AMCHP members about integrating oral health activities. Click here to download the issue brief. More information about the conference is available at nationaloralhealthconference.com.
- On May 3, AMCHP partnered with the Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) to convene an MCH Think Tank on accreditation. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the relationship between the PHAB standards and measures and MCH performance standards and measures; identify strategies to strengthen the PHAB standards and measures in the areas of MCH; identify strategies to ensure that MCH leadership engagement in health department accreditation readiness activities; and identify related program areas managed by health departments that also serve the MCH population. In attendance were AMCHP members Stephanie Birch (AK), Phyllis Sloyer (FL), Katherine Bradley (OR), Lisa Bujno (NH), Valerie Ricker (ME), Melinda Sanders (MO) and Alethia Carr (MI); AMCHP staff Mike Fraser, Lauren Raskin Ramos and Librada Estrada; CityMatCH member Cindy Harding (LA County); federal partners from MCHB and CDC; and PHAB Board members and staff. AMCHP and PHAB will continue to work together on accreditation issues for MCH and share information and resources with the membership.
- On May 7-8, AMCHP staff Erin Bonzon and Kate Howe participated in the "Weight of the Nation" Conference in Washington, DC hosted by the CDC Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity. The conference provided a forum to highlight progress in the prevention and control of obesity through policy and environmental strategies, and is framed around five intervention settings: early care and education; states, tribes and communities; medical care; schools; and workplaces. It highlighted impactful strategies implemented in these settings that have led to policy and environmental supports that improved population-level health. For more information, visit weightofthenation.org.