On Your Behalf
AMCHP Staff Working On Your Behalf
- On July 15, AMCHP staff members Mike Fraser, Lauren Raskin Ramos, Jessica Hawkins, Caroline Stampfel and Kate Howe; with Dr. Ursula Bauer, Director, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, visited with senior staff at the CDC’s Division of Reproductive Health and the National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities to discuss shared priorities for AMCHP and CDC and ways to continue to partner.
- On July 17-18, AMCHP staff members Mike Fraser, Treeby Brown, Melody Cherny and Michelle Jarvis convened a Summer Grantee Meeting in Baltimore, MD for the State Implementation Grants for Improving Services for Children and Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Other Developmental Disabilities grantees. Twelve state teams participated in the meeting, and representatives from the Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Association of University Centers on Disabilities, Autism Society and Catalyst Center presented on various issues regarding autism spectrum disorders. Key topics of the meeting were sustainability, opportunities for collaboration and the six core MCHB outcomes for CYSHCN: medical home, insurance coverage, screening, organization of services, families’ roles and transition to adulthood.
- On July 20, AMCHP staff member Brent Ewig presented on health reform and the Affordable Care Act to the Improving the System of Services for CYSHCN State Implementation Grantee Meeting. Brent also presented on July 20 on “The Impact of State Budget Deficits and Health Care Reform on Access to Substance Abuse, Chronic Disease and Mental Health Services” to the UNC School of Public Health’s Women’s Integrated Systems for Health Webinar Series (available by archive here).
- On July 21, AMCHP staff members Mike Fraser and Joshua Brown represented AMCHP at the First Focus Children’s Budget Summit. Director of the White House Domestic Policy Council, Melody Barnes, Senator Robert Menendez, Senator Patty Murray, and Representative Danny Davis, and other notable child health experts, were on hand to provide remarks. The meeting was organized to galvanize children’s advocates, the media, Members of Congress, and the public to protect the best interests of children as Congress seeks solutions to the nation’s budget challenges. First Focus also released the latest edition of the Children's Budget series, a book providing an analysis of the over 180 federally funded programs that are aimed at enhancing the well-being of our nation's children, and how their appropriations levels have changed over the past five years.
- On July 22, AMCHP staff Lauren Raskin Ramos and AMCHP members Suzanna Dooley (OK) and Valerie Ricker (ME) participated in an ASTHO meeting to explore quality initiatives in MCH. AMCHP will continue to partner with ASTHO on quality and accreditation work going forward.