Advocates for Youth: Works to help young people make informed and responsible decisions about their reproductive and sexual health. From their website you will find information for professionals, youth, and parents on reproductive and sexual health.
Advocates for Youth Publications Topic List: Provides a link to a wide range of publications. The following are a selection of recent publications:
Alan Guttmacher Institute: Works to advance sexual and reproductive health in the United States and worldwide through an interrelated program of social science research, policy analysis and public education. The following are some recent publications from the Guttmacher Institute:
- Facts on American Teens’ Sources of Information About Sex: This fact sheet contains information on sex, pregnancy and abortion, teen’s report of formal sex education, school health policies and programs, alternative sources of sex education, sex education policy and the effectiveness of sex education programs.
Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs—Adolescent Health: Provides resources and websites related to adolescent health. The following are some recent publications from AMCHP:
· AMCHP Innovation Station: Zero Fatalities – Utah Teen Driving Safety Task Force: The Innovation Station is AMCHP's searchable database of emerging, promising and best practices in MCH. The Utah Teen Driving Safety Task Force was determined to be an Emerging Practice.
CDC Adolescent Reproductive Health: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Adolescent Reproductive Health website contains information about teen pregnancy, research, science-based approaches, success stories and more. The following are recent publications from the CDC:
· CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report - Vital Signs: Teen Pregnancy — United States, 1991–2009
- CDC’s STD Awareness Resource Site: This website was created for STD prevention partners and stakeholders to support STD prevention outreach. Visit the site to access materials, education tools, and information to support STD awareness and prevention activities.
Child Trends—Teen Sex and Pregnancy: Child Trends is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research center that studies children at all stages of development. This link provides a wide range of resources on teen sex and pregnancy. The following are some recent publications and research briefs from Child Trends:
GYT: Get Yourself Tested Campaign: CDC is partnering with MTV, the Kaiser Family Foundation, Planned Parenthood Federation of America, and others to bring attention to the epidemic of STDs in the United States.
Healthy Teen Network: Healthy Teen Network is a national membership network that serves as a leader, national voice, and comprehensive educational resource to professionals working in the area of adolescent reproductive health. From their website you will find resources, research and support for professionals to help with effectively reaching vulnerable young populations. The following are recent publications from the Healthy Teen Network:
- Healthy People 2020 and Adolescent Health: A Primer: This publication reviews the adolescent and young adult health component of the Healthy People 2010 initiative, provides information on the Healthy People 2020 (HP2020) initiative and shares case studies along with tips and resources on how to maximize the use of the adolescent and young adult component of the HP2020.
Maternal and Child Health Library at Georgetown University: The MCH Library has many resources on adolescent health, including:
· Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Knowledge Path: A guide to websites, organizations, publications, and research databases on teen pregnancy and on sexuality education.
· Teen Pregnancy Prevention Resources for Families: Sources of health care for teens and resources about pregnancy prevention for parents and for teens.
· Social and Emotional Development in Children and Adolescents Knowledge Path: A guide to websites, organizations, publications, and research databases.
· Social and Emotional Development in Kids and Teens Resources for Families: Resources for parents, children and teens.
Additional resources are listed in the A-Z Index. Topics include asthma, mental health, nutrition, oral health, transition for youth with special needs, violence prevention and others.
NACCHO Adolescent Health: The National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO) Adolescent Health website contains information on adolescent reproductive health, teen pregnancy, HIV prevention and more.
The National Alliance to Advance Adolescent Health: The National Alliance to Advance Adolescent Health is a nonprofit organization that works to improve the lives of adolescents, especially those from poor families, by focusing greater attention and resources on their health needs and on innovative ways to address them.
Future Directions for the Office of Adolescent Health: This report outlines the vision for the Office of Adolescent Health as provided by clinical and policy experts.
The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy: The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy is a private, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that works to improve the lives and future prospects of children and families, and in particular, to help ensure that children are born into stable, two-parent families who are committed to and ready for the demanding task of raising the next generation. From their website, you can access national and state data regarding unplanned pregnancy, sexual activity and the cost of teen childbearing. The site also provides resources on many topics including contraception, foster care, marriage, race, teen pregnancy and more. The following are recent publications:
· Relationships and Contraceptive Use Among Community College Students: This fact sheet provides insights into why students, who say they want to postpone parenting, are not always using birth control consistently or effectively.
· It’s Your Responsibility to Talk to Youth: Pregnancy Prevention for Youth in Foster Care: A Tool for Caregivers and Providers: This tool is designed for caregivers and service providers to raise awareness, suggest ways to approach sex, pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) with youth, and provide resources.
· Does the Media Glamorize Teen Pregnancy? New Polling Data on What Teens Think: This brief presents new polling data on teens’ opinions on media and teen pregnancy in general, as well as their views about MTV’s popular 16 and Pregnant program in particular.
· Policy Brief: Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Teen Pregnancy: This policy brief examines disparities in teen pregnancy.
The Office of Minority Health (OMH): The Office of Minority Health (OMH) works to improve and protect the health of racial and ethnic minority populations through the development of health policies and programs that will eliminate health disparities. Visit their website to find information about funding, data/statistics, cultural competency, minority populations and other health topics.
- Advisory Committee Reports on Health Reform: The Advisory Committee on Minority Health submitted their report to Secretary Kathleen Sebelius with suggestions ensuring that health care reform meets health care needs of minority communities and eliminates health disparities.
- OMH is Using Twitter: Follow them @MinorityHealth to keep up with minority health updates, resources, funding and more.
Parents Matter!: Is an evidence-based prevention program for parents of pre-teens. This community-level family prevention program is designed to enhance protective parenting practices and promote parent-child discussions about sexuality and sexual risk reduction.
Related Agencies and Websites
Resource for Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention
Center for Adolescent Health and Law
Data Resource Center for Child and Adolescent Health
Konopka Institute for Best Practices in Adolescent Health/SAHRC
Leadership Education in Adolescent Health
National Adolescent Health Information Center at UCSF (NAHIC)
Society for Adolescent Medicine
Bureau for At-Risk Youth
Child Welfare League of America
Compendium of School-Based and School-Linked Programs for Pregnant and Parenting Adolescents
The Kaiser Family Foundation
Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Sex Etc. newsletter
Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States (SIECUS)